Sunday, April 21, 2013

To Everything There Is a Season




Sometimes its hard to face reality and realize you are growing up. This story is basically the story of the narrators first Christmas not believing in Santa Claus which is always a sad occurance but he looks at the bright side of being treated like an adult. I would like to think that we all stay young and innocent forever like Peter Pan and his lost boys but we all have the small moments and reality checks that force us to grow up.
For myself I haven't had many, to be perfectly honest I really haven't grown up nearly as much as some others my age. I have a sister who is 13 and a brother who is 18. My parents mostly sheltered us from the harsh world and waited as long as possible to tell us about Santa Claus and the Easter bunny not being real and all those nice things. In fact they still haven't told my sister. 


With all of that my reality check wasn't the Easter bunny or Santa not being real but when my parents told me that my grandfather had cancer and had to have surgeries, chemotherapy and was going to live with us during the process and recovery. This came to me as a huge surprise, my grandfather is a big strong man standing an impressive 6'5. I have always and still do think of him as the smartest man alive to date; he seems to know everything about anything. When I was told he had cancer it was a reality check even the biggest smartest people can get sick. This made myself and my siblings grow up we had to help my grandma and parents take care of my grandfather. We all grew up a little bit acting as stand-in adults. "...I am not so much surprised as touched by a pang of loss at being here on the adult side of the world." Although he on his way to recovery now it was scary for a while and to everything there is a season and this was the season I grew up.






















Here is a quick picture of the Rolling Stones rocking out to lighten the mood








No comments:

Post a Comment