Monday, March 25, 2013

The Essay

The Essay
I am finding it very ironic that we are writing an essay about writing an essay. But I would like to share my love/ hate relationship. Walking into a class just having an average normal day at school and BAM the teacher whacks you with an essay! It may not even be an English class and you might not even be expecting it but it hits you and you feel like a deer caught in head lights, no where to run. It chills me to the bone, cooling my blood just thinking about the writing, editing, brainstorming this is going to involve. I just look at that teacher wanting to ask what have you done? You're ruining my life, I only live once right? Why am I writing essays that are probably already on the internet?  But that is just my first reaction, this all happens in the space of two minutes. I just like to take another minute to think about this dramatic over reaction.
.
 This essay could be an opportunity to learn more about the subject, share my feelings on an interesting topic or an opportunity to boost my grade.
I do enjoy writing an essay, I like to get all of my ideas out onto paper in an understandable, organized fashion. It does feels good to hand in an essay you worked long and hard on.
There is a downside to essays, the much dreaded forced topic essay, which are the most common. You are forced to write an essay on a topic that does not interest you at all. For example: anything about the educational system and the classic,  uniforms or no uniforms. Other times you strike gold and find an essay topic you could write a book about.
Occasionally I would rather write a essay that I had time to prepare for than a test. In the essay you have time to research, think, process and edit all of your thoughts but in a test you are madly writing anything you can remember studying about the subject, often mixing ideas and many incomplete sentences that will leave your teacher wondering how you passed grade 6.


All in all once you can recover from the initial heart attack from hearing the word essay they are a great opportunity to boost your grade, share your feelings and thoughts on a topic and show your teacher some of your creativity and writing skills

1 comment:

  1. ahaha nice picture! We share the same feelings towards essays

    ReplyDelete